The Missouri State Highway Patrol reported Monday evening that he bodies of an adult and two children were found in rural Benton County, and Greene County Sheriff Jim Arnott has confirmed that the bodies are missing father Darrell Peak and his two sons, Mayson and Kaiden.
A GCSO spokesman said that the bodies were found together inside a structure. No other details about the discovery of the bodies was released.
The Missouri State Highway Patrol said that Darrell Peak had suffered from depression and made suicidal statements in the past. Peak had told employees at an Miami, Oklahoma casino last week he was taking his boys for a new life.
GCSO officials said that many leads had been generated through the weekend based on tips from the public, and that the filing of charges by detectives on February 28th was an attempt to generate additional tips and leads.
The GSCO released the following timeline of events related to the case:
- February 25 at approximately 4:00pm – Last seen near the family home in Greene County as Darrell drove away with the children, armed with the pistol he was known to regularly carry.
- February 25 at approximately 5:30pm – Contacted by a MSHP Trooper in Benton County who stopped to check on their disabled vehicle. Darrell refused assistance.
- February 25 at approximately 5:52pm – Benton County Deputy observed a man and two children walking along Highway 65. When she turned around to make contact, she was unable to locate them again and presumed they disappeared into a wooded area.
- February 25 at approximately 7:00pm – MSHP dispatched a Trooper to the area to check on a man walking along the highway with two children. The Trooper was unable to locate them when he arrived.
- February 26 at approximately 10:30am – Family members contacted the Greene County Sheriff’s Office to file a missing persons report. Family reported that Darrell had a history of depression however insisted that he would never harm his children.
- February 26 at approximately 12:58pm – Statewide BOLO alert sent out for the three missing persons.
- February 26 at approximately 1:01pm – Missing Persons information entered into the system.
- February 26 at approximately 1:24pm – Upon learning of the missing person investigation, MSHP Troopers and Benton County Deputies responded and searched the areas where Darrell, Mayson and Kaiden were repeatedly observed during the evening of February 25th.
- March 1 – The bodies of all three missing persons were found together inside a structure.