City Utilities has released this appeal to customers to conserve natural gas:
All natural gas and electric customers have or will receive a call from us tonight (February 14).
We want you to know that we, and utilities across the region, are experiencing severe supply shortages due to the extreme winter weather. While we are doing everything we can to ensure reliable service, we are asking everyone to reduce the use of natural gas and electricity as much as possible through Friday, February 19, or until the weather pattern changes.
Here is a list of things you can do to help the community:
- Turn down your thermostat at least 2 degrees. 68 degrees is the suggested average setting for winter.
- Limit the use of natural gas fireplaces.
- Limit the use of plug-in space heaters.
- Turn down the temperature setting on your water heater.
- Look for other opportunities in your home to reduce your use of natural gas and electricity during this extreme weather.
We will keep you updated if additional actions are needed. Thank you!