U-S Senator Josh Hawley has introduced a legislative agenda to hire 100,000 new police officers, boost police morale, and keep American families safe.
Hawley says his legislation would provide grants to local communities to support hiring those additional officers.
Hawley says American families aren’t safe, but they deserve to be, and they can be if we will act.
He says it’s time to support the brave men and women in blue and put more of them on the streets immediately.
Senator Hawley lists specific priorities of the agenda in this excerpt from Wednesday’s news release by his office:
In response to America’s crime wave and unprecedented assault on America’s law enforcement officers, Senator Hawley is introducing the following legislative agenda:
- 100,000 New Law Enforcement Officers: a bill to provide grants to local communities to support hiring an additional 100,000 additional law enforcement officers to protect American families.
- Protecting Law Enforcement in the Line of Duty: a bill to increase maximum penalties for assaulting federal officers by 50%.
- Protecting Federal Judges, Prosecutors, and Law Enforcement Officers from Violence and Doxing: a bill that directs DOJ, together with DHS, to develop programs to protect the privacy and personal information of judges, prosecutors, and law enforcement officials.
- Protecting Federal Law Enforcement Officers from Doxing: a bill to double the penalty for doxing federal law enforcement officials and other federal officials.
- Protecting Federal Courthouses and Judges: a bill to increase penalties for damage to federal courthouses and unauthorized access to areas where federal judges work, reside, or visit.
- Promoting Concealed Carry Rights for Law Enforcement Officers: a bill to amend the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA) to extend concealed carry rights to federal judges and prosecutors.
- Further Expanding Support for Police Officers: a bill to expand Senator Hawley’s previously passed “Supporting and Treating Officers in Crisis Act of 2019,” by increasing funding for family services, stress reduction, suicide prevention, and other programs for federal officers.
- Protecting Law Enforcement from Targeting: a bill to create a separate criminal offense for targeting someone based on their status as a law enforcement officer.
- Protecting Law Enforcement from Ambush: a bill to increase criminal penalties for ambushing enforcement officers.