SPRINGFIELD – Missouri State University has awarded a four-year contract to Kyle Moats, its current director of athletics.
The extension will begin June 1, 2022, continuing through May 31, 2026.
Moats has been the MSU director of athletics since 2009.
“Kyle has elevated athletics at Missouri State since his arrival in 2008.
His most recent successful hires in football and men’s and women’s basketball have transformed the athletic reputation at MSU,” said President Clif Smart.
“He was one of the few Division I athletic directors without a multi-year contract.
We felt it was important to remedy the situation,” Smart added.
During Moats’ tenure, Missouri State teams have made 25 NCAA Tournament appearances in various sports, including two Sweet Sixteen runs by women’s basketball and back-to-back FCS playoff appearances in football the past two seasons.
Moats has hired 16 head coaches in his tenure, overseen Missouri State’s capture of the Missouri Valley Conference All-Sports Trophy in 2011 and 2018, and led the charge for facility upgrades totaling nearly $22 million.
These include the Dr. Mary Jo Wynn Academic Achievement Center project, the MSU Basketball Complex at Great Southern Bank Arena, and new or renovated home facilities for 12 of the university’s 17 sports.
“I appreciate the Board of Governors’ support and President Smart’s confidence in me to continue leading our athletics department,” Moats said.
“I’m incredibly thankful to be a part of the university’s administrative team, as I take great pride in serving as director of athletics at Missouri State.
It is a privilege to represent our coaches, student-athletes and staff.
Leeann and I very much enjoy Springfield and the Ozarks, and we look forward to being a part of this community for many years to come.”
The employment agreement includes these terms:
- Four-year agreement with a term of June 1, 2022 through May 31, 2026.
- Base salary – $185,000 for the first year of the employment agreement. Moats’ base salary will be subject to annual merit-based increases following the first year of the employment agreement. He will also be eligible for all across-the-board increases provided on or after July 1, 2022.
- Achievement payments:
– Moats will be paid $2,500 should all university teams’ NCAA calculated Academic Progress Rate (APR) meet or exceed APR cut score.
– In the event the men’s or women’s basketball teams, the football team, the indoor volleyball team, or the men’s soccer team finish as champions or co-champions in the Missouri Valley Conference, an additional $2,000 will be paid to Moats for each championship. In the event any other team finishes as champions or co-champions in the conference in which it participates, Moats will be paid $1,000 for each championship.
– In the event the men’s or women’s basketball team is invited to appear in the NCAA Tournament, Moats will be paid an additional $2,000.